Veneration of Our Lady of Lourdes through contribution for tangible and measurable development plan, aiming to help several thousand devotees
The Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes in Chetpet, Vellore Diocese, Tiruvannamalai District is an embodiment love from the Almighty God towards several lakh devotees of Mother Mary. Rev. Fr. Francis Jean Darras, the undeterred and determined missionary from France, belonging to the congregation of Foreign Missionaries of Paris baptized nearly 3000 people in the year 1876 laying the spiritual foundation for this church. Fr. Darras painstakingly constructed this strikingly beautiful church with the twin towers soaring to the skies. The church was consecrated and dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes in the year 1895.
Despite insurmountable pressure with intimidation and even grave threat for his life, Fr. Darras knelt before the Lord, especially before the Mother Mary for mustering strength and support, and he overcame all hardships. Being the spiritual veteran, Fr. Darras played a pivotal role in spearheading several beneficial activities.
The Hill Shrine
Fr. Darras, after having been acquainted with cultural context as to how Indians consider taking pilgrimages, he envisioned that several million devotees of Our Lady of Lourdes also undertake pilgrimage. He spotted a Hill just 3 kms away from the Shrine. He left no stone unturned, by facing harsh resistance from the locals, to construct a small chapel on this hill. In 1880, the statue of Our Lady of Lourdes was carried in procession, on foot and thus the hill was christened as ‘Madha Hill’, ‘Hill of Mother Mary’, which was once upon called Satan / Devil’s Hill. This unprecedented spiritual procession became historical as a lakh of people participated in it.
Since 1880, several tens of thousands of devotees pay visits to Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine and participate in the procession to the “Madha Hill”, every year.
1. St. Domonic Savio Hr. Sec. School
2. Don Bosco Primary School
3. R.C.M Primary Schools Thathanur,Nedungunam, Moraikaniyanur
4. Mazabiel Primary English Medium school
5. Bishop David Home for Children
1. St. Anne’s Convent of Madavaram
(1941 March 28)
–St. Anne’s Hr. Sec. School
–St. John Bosco Priamary School
2. Medical Mission Secular Institute
–St. Thomas Hospital and Leprosy Centre
Founded by Dr. Aschoff
–Dr. Aschoff Nursing School
3. Aloysious Gonzaga Convent
–Ansaldo College of Education
–Ansaldo Matriculation High School
3. Youth Commission
- To emanate and enlarge the devotion to Our Lady of Lourdes among the larger sections of the population, by renovating the Parish Church
- To facilitate prayer-filled worships, by building a Community Hall
- To augment Boarding and Lodging for the Pilgrims by offsetting their woes during Annual Flag Hoisting and Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes
- To undertake Renovation and Electrification around the Grivalam Road, and to establish Hygienic Sanitation facilities, in order that processions are carried on without hassle
- To promote easy access of the Shrine and Hill Church through newly constructed Roads
- To reduce the Electricity cost and to march towards sustainable energy management, by virtue of harvesting Solar Energy
- To help the poor catholic people living in haystack houses, by building houses made up of concrete
- To empower the parish women through forming various self-help groups
- To ensure safety of the devotees and parishioners, boosting the surveillance by erecting CCTV Camera
Mother Mary being the principal disciple of Jesus Christ, has earmarked as to how the humans have to lead their lives. Mother Mary who is also being venerated as ‘Our Lady of Lourdes’ leads us in ardent catholic lives. Thus, any enterprising pursuits undertaken to envision, harness and fructify spiritual values-imbibed life, replicating Mother Mary’s Love, dedication and sacrifices; will surely be fitting. Your magnanimous financial contribution will sow the seed in this noble journey, besides making your financial contribution deductible from Income Tax purposes.
Rev. Father Victor Inbaraj N
Vicar Forane – Rector and Parish Priest
Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine
Chetpet – 606801
Fixed Phone :91-4181-252367.